17.8.10

London-Rome-Amman-Aqaba

Sat on the plane for an hour at Heathrow before it took off. The Italian passengers were a bit stressed about making their connections but the flight attendant guys seemed to be charming them into not whinging too much. I amused myself by nodding and pretending I understood. Got my connection in Rome no problem and arrived in Amman at 230am as scheduled.


Sat there for a few hours waiting for daylight, no point hanging around in the city in the dark outside a closed bus station. The joy of a football phone-in podcast on my mp3 player kept me awake. I had to turn it up a bit when the call to prayer started at 415am. All the taxi and shop workers disappeared behind a curtain to pray for half an hour.

Got a posh (expensive) cab into town and he dropped me at exactly the right place. Amman looks nice with its white sandstone? buildings. I Walked straight into the bus stop shop and got a ticket for the 7am bus to Aqaba. So my plan went like clockwork. The excellent road to Aqaba basically goes through the desert. Very scenic but i was nodding in and out of sleep by this point. I am pretty sure we will go back that way so will get another chance. The taxi driver in Aqaba pointed out that Saudi Arabia is 20kms down the road, and on the other side of the Gulf of Aqaba, we could clearly see Israel and then Palestine.

The Bedouin Garden Hostel is very nice as are the Jordanian people. The hostel is opposite the beach, and also has its own swimming pool. Lots of Italians and French and Spanish here. Only a couple of English guys. Just stayed in the shade and read my book and took naps today. Of course it is ridiculously hot and even water from the fridge gets warm in minutes, yuk.

The guys should arrive in the truck at midnight tonight. Will be good to see them all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment