1.10.11

Kuala Lumpar and George Town, Malaysia

Wednesday 28th September continued....

At the airport in Kuta, Bali, I went to the Immigration office, rather than the counters so I could be open about my genuine mistake in overstaying my visa by one day. The guy in the office showed me that it had registered on the computer so they would have known anyway. He was pretty uninterested in my explanation. I got the feeling he just wanted me to pay up and get out, which makes me wonder whether the money will go straight in his pocket. But maybe I am wrong about that, maybe it is just no big deal. Anyway, he gave me the exit stamp and told me to go through the 'Crew only' counter, so I just walked through there without anyone noticing, so maybe I should have just done that in the first place!

The flight was fine. Started reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, had a nap, and enjoyed looking out at the bright lights as we approached and landed in Kuala Lumpar. There was a long line at the Immigration counters and then the Skybus waited until it was full, so it was after midnight when we arrived at KL Central so the only choice was a taxi, which I shared with a Swiss couple going in the same direction. I was glad I had made an online hostel booking; when I arrived at 1am, the guy here at the Irsia B&B was very welcoming and gave me a much needed bottle of cold water. I have the dormitory room to myself - sweet.

Thursday 29th September

Up at 7am, toast and jam and coffee for breakfast. I took the LRT for a few stops and then got off. From outside the station I could see the Petronas Towers; they look good. I walked along the same road for a few kms then turned off and found the Myanmar Embassy quite easily. Once it opened, I was third in the short queue and filled in the application form and should be able to pick the visa up next week.

My next mission was to find a pair of Teva Dosa III sandals, because sadly, after almost 2 years  my old Tevas are finally beyond repair. From the Teva website, I got a list of stores in KL that supposedly stock Tevas, but some didn't sell any Tevas and the others only had older styles. Annoying. Still, I did buy a decent money belt and a red and black stripey t-shirt.

I walked around KL for about 12 hours today, mainly through China Town and parts of Little India. For second breakfast I had savoury Ayam pancake and sweet milky tea in an Indian restaurant, exactly as I had been looking forward to doing. I had Egg Roti and chai elsewhere later on. And Thai for dinner.

Today I found the locals to be really friendly and not at all pushy when I was shopping, a welcome change from Kuta Bali. I had a really enjoyable day running around KL, watching the local Chinese, Malay and Indian people. Each group tends to hang out with their own kind but of course they interact and integrate in the shops and restaurants.

Friday 30th September

At 8:30am, got the big comfortable, aircon-and-seatbelt bus out of KL, 4.5 hours to Pulau Penang (Penang Island) and to George Town, which is just as developed as KL (I hadn't realised that and was expecting it to be more rustic). We had to get another bus 10kms into town. Saw a hostel that said 'Recommended by Peter Pan in Australia' so thought I should check it out, and it's great. I have a dorm room to myself and the Chinese couple running the place are really nice and there is free wi-fi.

Well, I couldn't stay away from Little India. I soon found a restaurant there and had masala dosa and chai. Had another wander round Little India in the evening enjoying the colour and the music coming from the shops, but want to try other types of food too so ended up having Chinese food at a foodstall opposite the hostel.

As I write this in the hotel lobby, there are five locals sitting in the comfy seats opposite with their feet up receiving a foot massage. I am not sure anyone would want to get involved with my feet right now.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment