27.7.11

Medan

Sunday 24 July

Um. Today I just sat around reading. That's it.

Monday 25 July

After breakfast I said goodbye to Jenny and Ben and got the ferry back across Lake Toba to Parapat, and straight on a decent coach to Medan. Still get a bit annoyed with guys smoking on the bus, especially when there are kids there, like the little one next to me with his Mum. Mum had a plastic bag by her feet and about 15 minutes into the journey it started to twitch. I looked at her and with a smile she said 'fish', and I laughed.

Last night, my new friends gently persuaded me that it made more sense to come up to Medan and fly to Jakarta than take the 2/3 day bus trip. I normally prefer the bus because it is (usually) cheaper, it is more eco-friendly, you get to see the countryside, it's more of an adventure and flying is cheating. But notwithstanding all this I decided to take their advice.

So at the domestic terminal here in Medan I went to the airline ticket offices only to find that it is cheaper to book online and that it is more expensive to book a ticket within 48 hours. So I bought a ticket for Thursday, so I am stuck in Medan which is a big busy city.

Oh well, I had a wander around this evening. I have liked Sumatra and the people so will just take in the atmosphere, and pollution, for a couple more days before I can move on. While having dinner at a street stall, a metalworkshop across the road caught fire. The flames were high and I expected the whole shop to go up but after a short while they put it out. Phew.


Tuesday 26 July

This morning I moved from one hostel to another, to save 10,000 rupiah ($1). Well, over 2 nights that will be $2. The lady owner here is more friendly than the guy at the old hostel, and there are more people to talk to here. I went to look for a raincover for my small backpack since I left the other one in Pulah Weh. An Indian guy directed me to Medan Plaza and after much determination (stubborness) I finally found one in a department store, about 4 kms from my hostel. On the way back I went via little India; had delicious egg roti. Medan is not very pedestrian friendly, the pavement has holes an elephant could fall into, or has cars and bikes parked along it, so I spent some time walking on the road. I walked about 10kms today which is ok, I had nothing else to do.


Wednesday 27 July

Lazy lie-in. Walked to Istana Maimoon which is a palace still lived in by the Sultan of Deli (not really sure what this means but his role in ceremonial). Visitors can only go into the front room, to see his throne, which was ok, and the building is worth a look from the outside. There was a ceremony in the garden. I asked the lady receptionist what it was and she made a cutting gesture and smiled; it was a circumcision ceremony. She smiled again and said 'you want?'. Um, no thanks. I asked whether they actually do the operation there and then. She said 'yes' but I am not sure whether she understood me.

Next I went to the Grand Mosque, just around the corner from the hostel. This is where the prayers emanate from around 4:30am waking up most of the neighbourhood. I turned up in my shorts so they gave me a purple checked sarong to wear. It was ok, not as good as the mosque in Banda Aceh.



No comments:

Post a Comment