17.1.11

Chennai and Ooty

Monday 10th January.

Washing clothes, shave, sitting around.

Tuesday 11th January

Sitting around, reading. To Goan Corner for dinner and card games.

Wednesday 12th January

Up a bit earlier than usual. Packed up, said goodbye and headed across the river. Cheap tuk-tuk to Hospet bus station and then tuk-tuk to train station. A bit early, 3 hour wait. Then complete chaos as too many people crush into unresevered seating area. I was stood in the short corridor, between the toilets. Because there was no choice, a man was in there, smoking, with his young daughter, and 3 other guys. Not comfortable standing for 2 hours, and a big crush getting off at Guntanka, as people get on. Changed to sleeper train to Chennai. Met American Tony and chatted with locals before sleep. Finished The Alchemist

Thursday 13th January

Train arrived early in Chennai, 4:40am. Eventually Tony and I got cheap tuk-tuk to hotel but no rooms. Sat around for a while then Tony found a room for us in another hotel. Cat nap and then wandered into the street and met the Chileans. We had a wander around the north of the city and George Town. Back to real India after so long of sitting around in the peace and quiet.

In the evening, the four of us went out for dinner, kinda for my birthday which is next week. The Chileans gave me a birthday present, a t-shirt with my year of birth on - 1978! We went to a Wine Shop which is a hole-in-the-wall, usually with prison-style bars between customer and seller. They just sell spirits, no wine I don't think and these places attract some 'interesting' characters. We drank the whiskey back at the hotel while watching Ice Age.


Friday 14th January

Had to check out at 6:40am as that was the time we checked in yesterday. So i went to the Chileans room and had coffee and thensaid goodbye as I probably won't see them now until we are all in Oz. Walked round to the Salvation Army and checked in to the dorm. The zip on my backpack finally broke.

Walked for about 90 minutes through the city; Chennai is ok, better than I expected. Met Steve outside the Sheraton and we went for breakfast/lunch. Steve had a driver for 3 days so we went looking for something to secure my bag. The driver took us to a few expensive malls but I couldnt find what I wanted so may need to buy a new bag. Steve bought some shirts and a suit.

Went to '10 Downing Street' pub to check out the football but they soon asked us to leave as it is couples only after 6:30pm, and we didnt quite live up to the dress code either. We came back towards the hostel and I had dinner and Steve went back to his guest house. I had a wander round the other side of the hostel. There were loads of people around, shopping, and festive atmosphere for the Pongal Festival which is like New Year and harvest festival. There was also a large model pot with rice boiling over, to signify that they eat Pongal rice at this time, it is sweet rice. As part of the festival, the locals also make patterns on the pavement using painted rice. In the hostel chatted to Korean girl who was having trouble with the dentist. Finished off the whiskey.


Saturday 15th January

For convenience, I moved into Steve's guest house. Had a different driver and he took us to a cheaper k-mart-type place where they had a good quality backpack for 1500 rupees ($34) so with a heavy heart, I bought it. This means no longer using my backpack which I have had since 1992 and has seen so many places. Steve is taking it home and I might try to get the zip fixed.

The driver took us to Chennai beach which is very wide and was very busy, being the weekend and Pongal. The sea is far too rough to get in, but, again, it was good for people watching and I had bhel puri.   About 200 people drowned here in the Boxing Day tsunami.

We then went on to  to St (doubting) Thomas church/basilica. St Thomas apparently brought Christianity to Southern India before dying. We also saw the cave where Thomas hid and a rock that was indented from him leaning on it to pray. There is also a wooden pole which he is said to have put in the ground to keep to keep the sea away. The tsunami didnt get that far.

Steve took us out to dinner at the posh Rain Tree terrace restaurant with city views. I had a meat sizzler with loads of great veggies - delicious. After, we bought some whiskey and drank it while watching the footy. Also had some chocolate cake as kinda birthday cake.


Sunday 16th January

At lunchtime went to collect Steve's new clothes. Then the driver took us to animal park where they have birds, crocs, monkeys and deer locked up in small enclosures.  But it was good to people watch and chat.

After lunch we had a wander round. Steve bought some gifts for the girls then we went
 for a walk near Steve's guest house, before settling down to more football and whiskey. Around 9pm the driver took us to the train station, I said goodbye to Steve and he went on to the airport to fly home.

10pm departure from Chennai to Coimabatore.


Monday 17th January

Arrived in Coimbatore at 6am. Couldnt work out how to get to the bus stop i needed so got a tuk-tuk. Good driver said 'I am a muslim so it is my duty to make sure you get the right bus', which he did. On the bus to Ooty I kinda kicked out the kid on the front seat, and I had a great view as we made our way up the mountain, 14 hairpin bends, great scenery. This area is known as the Western Ghats and has big blue skies, pine forests and mountain air. Definitely a good place to be for my birthday. Booked into the cheap Youth Hostel dorm, thinking it would be sociable, but I am the only one in this 30 bed room.

Went to find a better hostel to stay in for my birthday. Booked train tickets, had lunch and made plans for the next week or so, always enjoyable. Walked up to St Stephens church which was nice on the inside and the outside. Late afternoon I went to the lovely Botanical Gardens, lots of young folk and families having a pleasant time; I will go again. Booked a tour for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment