3.12.09

Essaouira, Morocco

So today we are in the seaside town of Essaouira. I am sure they could have got more vowels into the name if they tried. It was great coming around the corner and seeing the atlantic ocean on our way down from the Atlas mountains. Had a good walk around the touristy bit and bought a manbag, and a good look around the medina, the old bit where the locals go shopping. We leave tomorrow to follow the coast down towards the western sahara and Maurintina. we will probably be bushcamping heaps then. hopefully stopping in lots of remote places. i think thats when the adventure really begins. we have been mainly staying on campsites and have plenty of good food and facilities. this will be become less so over the next few weeks. we will be in the desert until around Christmas I think and booze is illegal in Mauritina....
















I have to say listening to those who are doing the full trip up to Turkey, I wish I was too. the only thing stopping me is that I want to be in England for the world cup. see how I feel closer to the time.













it was our turn to cook again last night, I couldn’t actually remember what day it was, which is one of the joys of travelling, but I knew it was our cooking day so was able to deduce that it was Wednesday. anyway, we made fajitas and the gang seemed to enjoy. yes, you have to cook for 24 people once a week but the other days you just sit round the campfire while some else does it so no complaints there. In the evenings it gets dark at 530 and a bit chilly and theres not much to do except sit round the fire so must people go to bed around 9pm.





















if you put this into facebook search you can follow our guides blog which has other info



"African Trails: Ultimate Trans November 2009's Notes"









We had four nights in Marrakech on a campsite with peacocks as well as cats and dogs which are at every site.. it was cool though not as great as I expected. at dusk when the food stalls are busy and the markets are full there is a great atmosphere. during the day there are some smart buildings to see and the mosque is nice. but we didnt really need 3 days. too much walking for my toe and not enough reward. I nearly bought a manbag but by the time we had agreed a price the stocky guy had blocked my exit from his shop and had a strong hold on my wrist. I told him I might come back and got past him. he said I was crazy! if he had been nice I would have bought the bag. got lots of guys trying to hassle me using my Ajax hat as a conversation starter so took it off and wore it inside out.









Weetbix for breakfast every day.The trip only has bad cornflakes so I have splashed out on five boxes of weetbix and put my name on them. It is good having my own tent. can spread out and come and go as I please. I actually gave it a bit of a clean yesterday and it was like a new tent! happy with my sleeping bag and sheet and self inflating mat. comfortable and warm now.















my toe seems to be ok. have had it mostly covered up but when I had a look it looked ok, maybe its gonna reconnect itself. I would really like to go for a run but that’s off.







thats all. off to the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment